Spotlight on Lungworm

Thu.21.Mar.2013 - 16:00 GMT

Last year’s damp summer and mild winter conditions have proved ideal for slug and snail populations, leading experts to warn of a continued spread of lungworm (A. vasorum) in the UK. All dog owners are being urged to be on the lookout for the potentially fatal disease caused by infection of the parasite.

Lungworm (A. vasorum) is a parasite that dogs become infected with after eating common garden slugs and snails carrying the larvae. Once inside the dog’s system, the parasite travels through the body eventually ending up in the heart. If the infection is left untreated, the dog’s health can rapidly deteriorate, and can even result in death.

Joining us today is Jennie Bond and Luke Gamble to explain the risks and symptoms of lungworm and encourage all dog owners to participate in a nationwide pledge to #BeLungwormAware.